#373 Update Python guidelines section for executables
Closed: Fixed None Opened 8 years ago by bkabrda.

Hi, as was discussed on python-devel [1], I'd like to propose this change to Python guidelines section for executables in connection with Python 2 vs Python 3 stacks. (Please note that this is originally Toshio's proposal, so the credit goes to him; I'm just opening this ticket):

If the executables provide the same functionality independent of whether
they are run on top of Python 2 or Python 3, then only one version of the
executable should be packaged. Currently it will be the python
2 implementation, but once the Python 3 implementation is proven to work,
the executable can be retired from the python 2 build and enabled in the
python 3 package. Be sure to test the new implementation. Transitioning from
python2 to python3 is left to individual package maintainers except for
packages in Fedora's critical path. For these, we want to port to python3
versions in the same Fedora release if possible.

Change that to:

If the executables provide the same functionality independent of whether
they are run on top of Python 2 or Python 3, then only one version of the
executable should be packaged. In F22 and later, this should be the Python 3
version. In F21 and earlier this is left to the individual package
maintainers '''except''' for packages in Fedora's critical path. Those should
remain on the Python 2 version so that we don't drag in both python2 and
python3 stacks on a minimal system.

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/python-devel/2013-November/000528.html


Aligns with the timeline for the Python3 by default Fedora Change.

+1 from me

Not sure why this ticket hasn't made it to an agenda. Assigning to me just to try to change the status to something that can be picked up when geppetto creates the meeting agenda.

And this still never made it to a meeting. What's the status here?

The packaging committee is still awaiting additional information before it can properly address your request. Please provide that within the next month or this ticket will be closed. (Of course, you can always reopen it if the situation changes) Thanks!

Hi, I think this should be closed, since it's superseeded by a better proposal at https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/475.

Metadata Update from @bkabrda:
- Issue assigned to toshio

4 years ago

Login to comment on this ticket.

Metadata