#849 Build and host request for French live ISOs
Closed None Opened 10 years ago by fantom.


A few months ago I started with a small team to build French LiveCDs
(F16) for the community. I integrated kickstarts that we used in the
l10n-kickstarts package. The operation was very successful for the
community and our team showed a quasi-professional rigor.
The original story is here: http://forums.fedora-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=55969

For F17 release we would like to do really official French live ISOs,
built and hosted on the fedoraproject infrastructure, uploaded by
http and bittorrent (using the fedoraproject's tracker). Is it possible ?

Best regards

Adding meeting keyword. Not sure this will make tomorrow's meeting, but we could have some preliminary discussion at least.

FESCo has passed this decision on to the Fedora Advisory Board: https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/136

sgallagh, would you mind explaining FESCo's decision or providing a link to the meeting log? As a board member I find it hard to make a decision without knowing what FESCo discussed.

17:50:37 <sgallagh> #topic #849 Build and host request for French live ISOs
17:50:37 <sgallagh> .fesco 849
17:50:40 <zodbot> sgallagh: #849 (Build and host request for French live ISOs) – FESCo - https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/849
17:51:01 <notting> this is a fesco issue?
17:51:17 <sgallagh> I think this is more Board+Releng
17:51:18 <pjones> doesn't seem like it.
17:51:20 <notting> i suppose as those above releng, it is
17:51:22 <t8m> sgallagh, +1
17:51:36 <nirik> we have not done any official localized spins/releases.
17:51:38 <notting> historically we don't host localized live images, i think
17:51:51 <nirik> I think we have had other requests in the past we turned down too.
17:52:09 <t8m> I think this should be really decided by board
17:52:10 <sgallagh> nirik: Whether to host localized images or not sounds like it should be a Board policy decision
17:52:16 <mitr> Is this something for http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Spins_Process ?
17:52:20 <mjg59> Yeah, I really don't think this is for us
17:52:57 <sgallagh> #proposal Send this to the Fedora Advisory Board
17:53:08 <t8m> sgallagh, +1
17:53:29 <notting> +1. suggest releng and infrastructure join the discussion there
17:53:31 <nirik> sure, I suppose so.
17:53:56 <pjones> yeah
17:54:46 <mjg59> +1
17:54:48 <mmaslano> +1
17:55:33 <sgallagh> I count 7 +1, assuming nirik's "I suppose so" counts
17:55:39 <nirik> yes, +1
17:55:58 <mitr> +1, I suppose (... what is the right process here? but at least it is in the right direction)
17:56:47 <notting> mitr: historically, "we don't do this". changing the "we don't do this" is not exactly our decision. so, ... punt!
17:56:50 <sgallagh> who's missing?
17:57:26 <sgallagh> limburgher: Just for the record?
17:58:15 <sgallagh> #agreed Send this to the Fedora Advisory Board (8 +1)
17:58:16 <limburgher> +1
17:58:21 <sgallagh> #undo
17:58:21 <zodbot> Removing item from minutes: <MeetBot.items.Agreed object at 0x2964ec10>
17:58:23 <sgallagh> #agreed Send this to the Fedora Advisory Board (9 +1)
17:58:30 <limburgher> Sorry. :)
17:58:31 <sgallagh> Your timing is impeccable
17:58:36 <limburgher> As always.

Thanks a lot.

It seems to come down to "we turn it down because it has been turned down in the past", so I wonder ''why'' it has been turned down in the past and by whom. Lack of QA, disk space on mirrors, manpower?

But FESCo did not turn it down - it just said it is not a decision that FESCo can/should make. It should be board decision with properly considering input from the infrastructure team.

This time FESCo has handed it over to the board, but I was more interested in the previous discussion that notting mentioned in the meeting log. Why was it turned down the first time?

since i cant comment on the boards ticket ill comment here.

from memory it came about when it was wanted to host translated lives for all of the 14 or so languages in India. the issues were. mostly to do with disk space on fedora servers, and mirrors. and releng not wanting to be on the hook for making alll the different translated versions. I was on the board when the India one came up and we felt that the local team should make them and find local hosting. International bandwidth in India and many countries where translated spins make the most sense is expensive. Having them hosted in the local region makes sense, the amount of downloads outside of the region would be few. Today im still concerned about disk use in fedora and on the mirrors, i guess we could put them on alt, but I still think its best for local hosting close to the target users.

With my release engineering hat on, while this is a request for a single language, one will trigger another, and i could easily see it being 20-30 more lives. that qa and releng will likely not be able to QA. Just because we don't understand the languages to ensure that translations are correct or to do much without having to blindly guess at some stuff.

I think we should continue to provide the framework and tooling to allow the communities in the different regions to build localised media. I am happy to help anyone who has any issues in creating livecds.

Login to comment on this ticket.