#2312 Python2 exception for mailman
Closed: Accepted 9 months ago by dcantrel. Opened 10 months ago by landgraf.

Sorry for last day ticket.
I'd like to ask for Python2 exception to allow mailman package to use python2 interpreter both in build time and in runtime. The other python2 dependency of mailman is python2-dns.
While mailman was rewritten in python3 quite a few users still use old version due to its simplicity and stability.
I work on porting mailman(2) to Python3 but it took longer than expected. The plan is to introduce new package named mailman2 which provides mailman and deprecate mailman package once the porting done


Metadata Update from @churchyard:
- Issue tagged with: python 2 exception

10 months ago

The plan is to introduce new package named mailman2 which provides mailman and deprecate mailman package once the porting done

So for now, we would have:

  • mailman package has version 2, runs on Python 2
  • mailman3 package has version 3, runs on Python 3

And after the porting, we would have:

  • mailman2 package has version 2, runs on Python 3
  • mailman3 package has version 3, runs on Python 3

Why don't rename the package right away?


Are the maintainers of python2-dns aware of this exception request? What about the dependencies of python2-dns?

And after the porting, we would have:

mailman2 package has version 2, runs on Python 3
mailman3 package has version 3, runs on Python 3

Why don't rename the package right away?

I'd prefer to go through formal review process and have two version for some period of time (F32 lifecycle?) for testing/migrations/etc. Actually "ported" version looks more like a fork due to changes in file formats.

Are the maintainers of python2-dns aware of this exception request? What about the dependencies of python2-dns?

@pwouters , Hi, are you OK with keeping python2-dns for a while? looks like it doesn't require too much work.

@landgraf is it realistic that the port will be done in time for Fedora 32, or do you anticipate it will take longer than that?

python2-dns has more dependencies. They are currently covered by the exception for trac-spamfilter-plugin, but that might get ported before mailman. So depending on the timing, this exception might need to cover these as well:

  • python-crypto
  • python2-setuptools
  • python2-typing
  • (possibly) python-pycryptodomex

python2-setuptools is staying for a while; for the rest it's probably best to coordinate with @pghmcfc (trac-spamfilter-plugin maintainer).

Metadata Update from @psabata:
- Issue tagged with: meeting

10 months ago
  * AGREED: Time estimate and approval from relevant parties should be
    provided by the end of the month or the package will be retired;
    can be unretired later when ported (+8, 0, -0)  (contyk, 15:52:08)

Edited by @churchyard to fix a confusing typo.

Metadata Update from @psabata:
- Issue untagged with: meeting

10 months ago

This is a friendly nudge: the end of month happens this Friday.

Based on quick discussion with @pghmcfc I think it's better to keep mailman2 around for F32 cycle.
F33 Change Checkpoint: Completion deadline (testable) looks realistic (at least for now).
I'm OK with (co-) maintaining python2-dns as well.

Since python-dns has switched from python-crypto to python-pycryptodomex in Rawhide now, I believe there's nothing now depending on python2-crypto so I should be able to drop it. Anybody think I've missed anything and should keep it for now?

I have now dropped python2 support from python-crypto in Rawhide as python-dns has moved from python-crypto to python-pycryptodomex.

@churchyard what's the state of this ticket? Today is the end of the month. There's one "+1" from you, and no other votes. I think that counts as accepted?

I read it that the needed info was provided 2 days ago and restarted the voting timer for the exception request.

@churchyard thanks.

According to

If the week passes and the required number of votes have not been met, the proposal is extended by one further week and the minimum requirement becomes a single positive "for" vote. This is intended to ensure that proposals do not languish.

this means this ticket will be accepted if there are no negative votes until 2020-02-05.

Metadata Update from @churchyard:
- Issue tagged with: pending announcement

9 months ago

Metadata Update from @dcantrel:
- Issue close_status updated to: Accepted
- Issue status updated to: Closed (was: Open)

9 months ago

Is there any bug where I can follow the process of porting? Python-dns without Python 2 support will be released soon and I'd like to coordinate the update.

Login to comment on this ticket.

Metadata