#2180 F31 System-Wide Change proposal (late): No i686 Repositories
Closed: Accepted a month ago by zbyszek. Opened 2 months ago by churchyard.

Stop producing and distributing the Modular and Everything i686 repositories.

Note that this change proposal was proposed after the deadline, at FESCo's informal request.


The non-modular case of "build packages locally in mock" has a proper workaround.
Hover, what about the modular case? How does one locally debug a i686 modular build failure?

Note that I wanted to say:

If we have no multilib in modules (AFAIK we don't we actually do according to @psabata), maybe we can stop building modules on i686 altogether.

However I've realized that when/if we enable modular repos in the buildroot, this will break all i686 builds that BR something modular (unles we keep it in Fedora proper forever, which we want to avoid).

So the proper question is: How does this collide with Modules in buildroot enablement?

The non-modular case of "build packages locally in mock" has a proper workaround.
Hover, what about the modular case? How does one locally debug a i686 modular build failure?

I'm not sure. Perhaps someone could describe how you do that now?

Note that I wanted to say:
If we have no multilib in modules (AFAIk we don't), maybe we can stop building modules on i686 altogether.
However I've realized that when/if we enable modular repos in the buildroot, this will break all i686 builds that BR something modular (unles we keep it in Fedora proper forever, which we want to avoid).
So the proper question is: How does this collide with Modules in buildroot enablement?

Yes, we will need to keep making i686 modules for this reason, but thats fine, they don't need a public/mirrored i386 tree, they would use the koji buildroot.

Can we get this on the agenda for tomorrow's meeting? or it's still due to wait?

Can we get this on the agenda for tomorrow's meeting? or it's still due to wait?

I guess we should. Sorry for not including it.


+1 to the change anyway.

Metadata Update from @ignatenkobrain:
- Issue tagged with: meeting

2 months ago

We've talked about this on today's meeting:

AGREED: Defer decision until we know answer for the "modularity local build" question or until 2 weeks before the beta freeze (whatever happens first) (+7, 0, -0) (ignatenkobrain, 15:34:37)

Metadata Update from @ignatenkobrain:
- Issue untagged with: meeting

2 months ago

@psabata I wanted to ask at Flock but then I needed to leave sooner. Any new information regarding the modularity local builds with Koji repos?

Metadata Update from @zbyszek:
- Issue tagged with: meeting

a month ago

We discussed this doing todays' FESCo meeting (2019-08-19):
AGREED: Approved. Change owner has to make sure somebody updates the docs somewhere. (+6, 0, 0)

Metadata Update from @zbyszek:
- Issue untagged with: meeting
- Issue close_status updated to: Accepted
- Issue status updated to: Closed (was: Open)

a month ago

Login to comment on this ticket.

Metadata