#1166 F20 System Wide Change: Migrate to Bluez 5 - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Bluez5
Closed None Opened 8 years ago by jreznik.


Talked about alpha change being the time to invoke contingency plan rather than beta.
Post meeting talked to dan mashal and got this as status update:
gnome is moving forward
kde is moving forward
* mate, cinnamon, lxde, xfce -- there's work on an applet that should cover all of these:
- there is an XFCE applet but it is premature.
- there is a working MATE bluetooth applet. MATE was repackaged so any user from LXDE/XFCE/Cinnamon can install any package from mate with minimal dependancies. So this seems to be an applet that can be used if all else fails.

Replying to [comment:1 toshio]:

Talked about alpha change being the time to invoke contingency plan rather than beta.

The feature was approved by FESCo with contingency plan at one week before Beta freeze. This is when all the pieces should fit together and it's the date different teams are targeting for making it work properly.

Replying to [comment:2 kalev]:

Replying to [comment:1 toshio]:

Talked about alpha change being the time to invoke contingency plan rather than beta.

The feature was approved by FESCo with contingency plan at one week before Beta freeze. This is when all the pieces should fit together and it's the date different teams are targeting for making it work properly.

In the meeting: http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/fesco/fesco.2013-08-21-18.00.log.html

Alpha deadline discussion begins at:

19:00:04 * jreznik would really like to see alpha change deadline as the point to start contingency plan - it's quite a big thing to go with or revert on time

Looks like moving contingency planning to alpha deadline had some people who were pro and some who were con and we didn't get to the point of voting (probably because people felt there were strong arguments on either side of the discussion).

Since this ticket didn't get filed until now, it doesn't seem to have made it into this week's meeting agenda and it does seem to be something that remains time critical. FESCo members, how do you want to handle this? If there are people who feel strongly, perhaps they can register their votes now for either alpha or beta. If there's no quorum the remainder will need to discuss on the mailing list to come to some conclusion. Not ideal -- but worst case with following that course is we don't decide until next week which is the best case if we defer until the meeting....

Replying to [comment:3 toshio]:

Looks like moving contingency planning to alpha deadline had some people who were pro and some who were con and we didn't get to the point of voting (probably because people felt there were strong arguments on either side of the discussion).

We've mostly run out of time I think. The formal outcome was that the actual deadline stays in the beta timeframe, FESCo will revisit next week. Informally, the possibility of FESCo moving the contingency deadline (== instituting the (a?) contingency plan) has been discussed and is somewhat likely to be proposed again, perhaps even so far as instituting the contingency already at the next meeting.

If there are people who feel strongly, perhaps they can register their votes now for either alpha or beta.
Echoing my comments from the meeting, my vote is to stay with beta.

The Change owners have had a reason to expect they have time until the beta freeze, so FESCo shouldn't take time away from them without a strong reason, and so far I don't see a such strong reason (especially now that comment:1 suggests that all desktops can work already).

If we had realized beta was the date in contingency plan at the beginning I think we should have changed it then. Since we didn't and the other desktops seem to be finding solutions, I'm willing to go along with beta as the date.

Note that I've never been against final release slipping past the winter holidays if necessary. Take that into account if you're thinking about using my rationale as a basis for your own thinking :-)

+1 for keeping beta as the contingency plan deadline.

Beta freeze was yesterday. Time to check in on this and see how it's doing.

Bluez 5 Change should be completed, current status is ON_QA (set by the owner on 2013-10-14).

Discussed and approved at today's FESCo meeting (2013-10-16).

Login to comment on this ticket.

Metadata