#1095 Fedora 20 schedule proposal
Closed None Opened 7 years ago by jreznik.

As requested by FESCo on the last meeting, I prepared a draft of the Fedora 20 schedule with the goal to release in the end of November.

  • Wed 2013-05-01 Start Planning Phase and Changes Proposals Submission
  • Tue 2013-07-16 Changes Proposals Submission Deadline
  • Tue 2013-08-20 Planning/Development Phase Ends, Changes Freeze (Testable|Complete)
  • Tue 2013-09-03 Alpha Change Deadline
  • Tue 2013-09-17 Alpha Release Public Availability
  • Tue 2013-10-08 Accepted Changes 100% Complete Deadline
  • Tue 2013-10-08 Beta Change Deadline
  • Tue 2013-10-22 Beta Release Public Availability
  • Tue 2013-11-12 Final Change Deadline
  • Tue 2013-11-26 Final Release Public Availability (GA)

Planning phase in the beginning of the May gives us some time to prepare a new Planning process (I'm currently in touch with Documentation team, poke more Marketing), the Feature process wiki has to be updated (I have an idea but Docs/Marketing input would be welcomed)...

Risk: Even the Feature Submission Deadline is three weeks (for F19 it was two weeks) after currently planned GA of previous version, with the possibility of conflict with GA... But if we want to follow "Set submission deadline and approve final schedule based on the scope of submissions" - see https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1092 - we need it as early as possible. Otherwise it could be pushed forward a little bit more.


I was actually hoping for a beginning of november schedule. :)

Nov 28th is thanksgiving in the US, most places provide that thursday and friday as holiday days, and many people take vacation days so they can be gone the entire week. If we do release on time, I suppose that has the advantage that many people can upgrade or install over their holidays. If however, we slip, that week is pretty hopeless for getting anything done.

Replying to [comment:2 kevin]:

I was actually hoping for a beginning of november schedule. :)

Ops, for some reason I understood it as the end (maybe because I don't see much space for shorter one in my head ;-).

Nov 28th is thanksgiving in the US, most places provide that thursday and friday as holiday days, and many people take vacation days so they can be gone the entire week. If we do release on time, I suppose that has the advantage that many people can upgrade or install over their holidays. If however, we slip, that week is pretty hopeless for getting anything done.

Good point (and sorry for my non-US ignorance again...), we have now to floating dates - F19 GA, as with possible slips, it could make F20 even shorter and then we should avoid the Thanksgiving (and if we skip it, we are close to Christmas).

Let me try some more "magic". Other possibility would be to make F20 longer - skip Christmas but that would definitely let us far away from May/October releases.

Or shorter. F19.1 anyone?

/me notes that it's not necessary to take this as a serious message unless it opens up helpful possibilities for them.

Replying to [comment:4 toshio]:

Or shorter. F19.1 anyone?

Well, it depends on how you define F19.1. From FUDCon discussion I understood it more as a classic release, just for "bigger" features we would bump release number as "heads-up". In such case there's probably no space for making it shorter. If it would be more "service pack" style - sure, there are possibilities - release process could be cut down, development etc...

So the early November dates could be 2013-11-05 and 2013-11-12. I'd prefer the second one - with Submission Deadline in the same date as proposed for the end of November one (to try to avoid F19 GA collision). Followed by Feature Freeze on 2013-08-06 (pretty early...) and Alpha Change Deadline on 2013-08-20.

From the 2013-03-13 FESCo meeting:

Proposal: approve schedule aiming as 2013-11-12, with explicit dates listed as 'no earlier then', and start the announcement with "will be adjusted out based on changes submitted by deadline" did not pass (+:4, -:1, 0:1)

So, tentatively pushed to next week.

The detailed schedule proposal for "no earlier than" 2013-11-12 GA (even it did not passed the last time) but I was asked for:

  • 2013-07-16 Planning Phase Ends, Changes Proposals Submission Deadline
  • no earlier than 2013-08-06 Development Phase Ends, Changes Freeze (Testable|Complete)
  • no earlier than 2013-08-20 Alpha Change Deadline
  • no earlier than 2013-09-03 Alpha Release Public Availability
  • no earlier than 2013-09-24 Accepted Changes 100% Complete Deadline/Beta Change Deadline
  • no earlier than 2013-10-08 Beta Release Public Availability
  • no earlier than 2013-10-29 Final Change Deadline
  • no earlier than 2013-11-12 Final Release Public Availability (GA)

I can't attend the meeting. I agree with jreznik new schedule. +1

approve schedule aiming as 2013-11-12, with explicit dates listed as 'no earlier then', and start the announcement with "will be adjusted out based on changes submitted by deadline" (+6, -1, 0)

Reopening for the final schedule approval. Release Engineering asked for two more weeks to be added to the current schedule for mass rebuild cleanup.

{{{
2013-08-20 Changes Freeze--Planning & Development Ends/Branch Fedora 20 from Rawhide
2013-09-03 Alpha Change Freeze
2013-09-17 Alpha Release
...
2013-11-26 Fedora 20 Final Release
}}}

+1 I agree with jreznik's proposal

+1 to jreznik's proposal. I don't love being so close to Thanksgiving, but all the other choices are probably worse.

Yeah, I'm ok with it. It's very tight and I am sad we have been delayed on mass rebuild, but I think we might be able to make it if we can start very very soon.

+1 with an echo of the thanksgiving concern. If we slip from this it'll have to be a two-week slip.

since we still have not started the mass rebuild due to perl not yet being done we are likely going to need an extra week to clean up post mass rebuild before branching.

We also need to know what to do about the hardening changes. the implementation broke building and has been reverted. FESCo needs to decide what to do with it before mass rebuild can be started

+1 to schedule -- I'm anticipating that we'll probably have to slip but we can cross that bridge if we get to it.

As for hardening ticket, we're currently at +3 to not block the mass rebuild on the Change. Need two more +1's there to let the mass rebuild proceed without that. (Whether some portion of the Change is still implemented can be decided after some more discussion).

Replying to [comment:18 ausil]:

since we still have not started the mass rebuild due to perl not yet being done we are likely going to need an extra week to clean up post mass rebuild before branching.

Perl guys reported 20% still to be done, should be ready within a few days. With another week being in Thanksgiving week...

Replying to [comment:19 ausil]:

We also need to know what to do about the hardening changes. the implementation broke building and has been reverted. FESCo needs to decide what to do with it before mass rebuild can be started

Seems like FESCo decided to push the change to F21 - https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1132

That's +5, schedule approved.

Login to comment on this ticket.

Metadata