#129 Please move the website translation components from zh_Hans/zh_Hant back to zh_CN/zh_TW respectively in translate.fp.o
Closed: Wontfix 7 months ago by tiansworld. Opened 10 months ago by tiansworld.

The previous issues #33 and pull request #115 were solved.
However the translation files are under different languages sets zh_Hans and zh_Hant, this will confuse the translators, especially the new contributors. Because they may start to translate them again under zh_CN and zh_TW.

So please move the website translation components back to zh_CN and zh_TW. BTW, I see there is an empty website project(https://translate.fedoraproject.org/languages/zh_CN/fedora-websites/) in zh_CN already, this should be replaced when you move the project.

cc @zerng07


Metadata Update from @bcotton:
- Issue assigned to bcotton

10 months ago

Metadata Update from @bcotton:
- Issue tagged with: translations

10 months ago

@tiansworld are you asking for changes in translate.fedoraproject.org? The websites team does not control that. If that's what you're asking for, please bring it to the trans mailing list.

Alternatively, are you asking for us to remove the language mapping so that zh_CN no longer redirects to zh_Hant_CN and zh_TW no longer redirects to zh_Hant_TW? In that case, we should wait until the translated strings are available in Weblate.

@tiansworld are you asking for changes in translate.fedoraproject.org? The websites team does not control that. If that's what you're asking for, please bring it to the trans mailing list.

Yes, I mean the website components in translate.fedoraproject.org. I thought website team is able to make the changes.
Let me ping @jibecfed to see if he knows what to do.
If the changes happens, will it affect website team fetching the translation?

Alternatively, are you asking for us to remove the language mapping so that zh_CN no longer redirects to zh_Hant_CN and zh_TW no longer redirects to zh_Hant_TW? In that case, we should wait until the translated strings are available in Weblate.

No, I just want the website project to be put under the correct language teams(zh_CN and zh_TW) in Weblate, because I don't want it to cause confusions. It will help translators to find them easily without switching to another language team.

Furthermore, I think your reply gives some clue about why the Chinese translations won't be shown in the website before pull request fix #115.

The website projects now are in zh_Hans and zh_Hant teams respectively, as I said at first. They are translated near 100%.
However the website code tried to find zh_CN and zh_TW translations to be shown, the translations of these two languages are 0%, so they wouldn't be shown and the language names wouldn't appear on the bottom of the getfedora.org.
The pull request #115 makes a mapping. But the root of the problem persists.
I think this is another reason why we should move them back to the zh_CN/zh_TW, or at least 'copy' them and leave zh_Hans/zh_Hant there.

Yes, I mean the website components in translate.fedoraproject.org. I thought website team is able to make the changes.

I can't. Maybe @codeblock can? But talking to Jean-Baptiste is the best approach.

If the changes happens, will it affect website team fetching the translation?

From what I can tell, we'd need to remove the language map once the translations are moved in Weblate. The .po files in the translations repository currently use the Hant names.

A multi-step approach would prevent any "outages" of zh translations:

  1. Copy zh_Hant_* to zh_* in Weblate
  2. Remove zh_Hant_* maps from the website config
  3. Delete zh_Hant_* in Weblate

A multi-step approach would prevent any "outages" of zh translations:

Copy zh_Hant_ to zh_ in Weblate
Remove zh_Hant_ maps from the website config
Delete zh_Hant_
in Weblate

You are right, I think this is the appropriate procedure, and it's simple.
I've sent an email to Jean-Baptiste about this issue.

Hello guys,
It's been a month since I opened this issue. It will be good to add some updates.

I've contacted Jean-Baptiste personally and I discussed this issue on translation mailing list too [You may find it at here: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/trans@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/DPAF4M2YOPAMPLVCELI665G4LUP2J44N/ ].
He showed little interest to the discussion and I had to contacted him every time for his reply. According to his reply of the topic on the mailing list, I guess he doesn't willing to help.

However I am not very sure, because he hasn't replied my questions on translate mailing list since 4 August.
I don't want to contact him for a reply again, it makes me feel like I am begging something.

Let me wait for another month. I am sorry to bother you with this.

I haven't received new replies about the issue on the L10n mailing list. So I will close this issue here.
Thanks guys.

Metadata Update from @tiansworld:
- Issue close_status updated to: Wontfix
- Issue status updated to: Closed (was: Open)

7 months ago

Login to comment on this ticket.

Metadata