#8210 FAS clients not installable on Fedora 31+
Closed: Fixed 2 months ago by codeblock. Opened 3 months ago by mizdebsk.

fas-clients package is Python2-only. In Fedora 31 some of its dependencies have been removed. This results in broken dependency: Problem: package fas-clients-0.10.2-3.fc31.infra.noarch requires libselinux-python, but none of the providers can be installed (python2-libselinux package that used to provide libselinux-python was removed from F31: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1739646)

fas-clients is installed on almost every Fedora infra machine, so this could affect a fair number of boxes if not fixed in time. We should come up with a plan for fixing fas-clients before we start migrating our systems to Fedora 31.

Possible solutions:

  • build missing python2 packages in infra tags
  • port client part of FAS to Python 3
  • run FAS client from a container
  • migrate away from FAS to a replacement system before the problem becomes too serious

We are looking at the last of those, but it's going to be a bit until we have anything in place.

I made a quick attempt to port fasClient to python3 (ran 2to3 over it, fixed a few obvious things), but ran into issues I wasn't sure of the fix for. This might not be too bad for someone who knows python tho?

Metadata Update from @smooge:
- Issue assigned to smooge

3 months ago

I will look at finishing a convert to py3 unless nirik beats me to it.

Metadata Update from @mizdebsk:
- Issue priority set to: Waiting on Assignee (was: Next Meeting)

3 months ago

Metadata Update from @kevin:
- Issue tagged with: backlog

3 months ago

So, I tried various things, but keep running into issues. ;)

I have been testing on rawhide-test.fedorainfracloud.org. There's a hacked up copy in /root/fasClient that is trying to use python3.

I ran 2to3 on it, then hit a pickle issue, which was solved by just nuking the pickle made by python2. Then, I have hit a bunch of bytes vs str issues.

I can try and put that somewhere, or those interested in debugging can try there.

Metadata Update from @codeblock:
- Issue assigned to codeblock (was: smooge)

2 months ago

I have this mostly done, just need to test some more.

This is in the infra repo now. Let me know if you notice any issues.

Metadata Update from @codeblock:
- Issue close_status updated to: Fixed
- Issue status updated to: Closed (was: Open)

2 months ago

Login to comment on this ticket.

Metadata