#4764 Don't think my blog is showing up on the planet :(
Closed: Fixed None Opened 6 years ago by ankursinha.

= bug description =
I wrote a blog post yesterday, and another one a few days ago and neither turned up on the planet as far as I could see.

Could someone please check the logs to see if this is the case and fix it?

(I've checked the .planet file on my fedorapeople space and the feed link there appears to be correct.)

Happy release day! :D

Cheers,


It seems to be some kind of network issue between people03 and your blog server:

{{{
wget -S http://ankursinha.in/blog/feeds/tech.atom.xml
--2015-05-26 17:04:12-- http://ankursinha.in/blog/feeds/tech.atom.xml
Resolving ankursinha.in... 199.79.62.103
Connecting to ankursinha.in|199.79.62.103|:80... failed: Connection timed out.
Retrying.

--2015-05-26 17:05:16-- (try: 2) http://ankursinha.in/blog/feeds/tech.atom.xml
Connecting to ankursinha.in|199.79.62.103|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... Read error (Connection reset by peer) in headers.
Retrying.

--2015-05-26 17:06:38-- (try: 3) http://ankursinha.in/blog/feeds/tech.atom.xml
Connecting to ankursinha.in|199.79.62.103|:80... failed: Connection timed out.
Resolving ankursinha.in... 199.79.62.103
Connecting to ankursinha.in|199.79.62.103|:80... failed: Connection timed out.
Retrying.
}}}

Can you check that everything is ok on your end?

At the moment, the hosting seems to be down. I've filed a ticket with my hosting provider. It was working yesterday and this morning too, but my blog post hadn't showed up the planet then either. Could we wait for my hosting to come back up and then look into this again please?

Cheers,
Ankur

Sure. Just let me know in this ticket when it's back.

Hi Kevin,

They've fixed the issue. It's back up now. The wget command works here:

{{{
[asinha@ankur ~]$ wget -S http://ankursinha.in/blog/feeds/tech.atom.xml
--2015-05-26 19:17:25-- http://ankursinha.in/blog/feeds/tech.atom.xml
Resolving ankursinha.in (ankursinha.in)... 199.79.62.103
Connecting to ankursinha.in (ankursinha.in)|199.79.62.103|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 18:17:25 GMT
Server: Apache Phusion_Passenger/4.0.10 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_fcgid/2.3.9
Last-Modified: Mon, 25 May 2015 22:16:14 GMT
ETag: "14590452-e7c45-516ef5ba3a780"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 949317
Cache-Control: max-age=172800
Expires: Thu, 28 May 2015 18:17:25 GMT
Vary: Accept-Encoding,User-Agent
Keep-Alive: timeout=3, max=30
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: application/xml
Length: 949317 (927K) [application/xml]
Saving to: ‘tech.atom.xml’

tech.atom.xml 100%[=======================================================================================>] 927.07K 251KB/s in 4.1s

2015-05-26 19:17:30 (226 KB/s) - ‘tech.atom.xml’ saved [949317/949317]

}}}

Cheers,
Ankur

I've changed the planet feed URL to this - http://ankursinha.in/blog/feeds/tags/fedora.atom.xml . Hopefully it was one of them weird issues and the planet will pull from this feed in its next go. :)

ok. I spent a bit this morning tracking this down.

It seems your blog has some kind of spam blocking based on user-agent?

You can see if I use the same user-agent that our planet gatherer it fails:

{{{
$ wget -U "Python-httplib2/$Rev: 227 $" http://ankursinha.in/blog/feeds/tags/fedora.atom.xml
--2015-05-27 16:19:32-- http://ankursinha.in/blog/feeds/tags/fedora.atom.xml
Resolving ankursinha.in... 199.79.62.103
Connecting to ankursinha.in|199.79.62.103|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2015-05-27 16:19:32 ERROR 403: Forbidden.
}}}

So, can you check your settings and see if there's any user-agent blocking and disable it?

Oh? I haven't set up anything. It's just a bunch of static html files really, since I'm using pelican. I'll go take a look at this. It's possible the hosting set it up..

Looks like this happened before and threebean figured that the fix was to change the user agent for venus. He opened a pull request, here about 2 years ago and it hasn't been merged yet: https://github.com/rubys/venus/pull/22

It's a one line fix, though :)

Thanks!

For the time being, I'm mirroring the required feed file on my fedora people space as a workaround. I'll remove it once the patch has been applied to venus.

Cheers.

ok. I have applied the patch, so the user agent should now be 'venus'.

Please let us know if you still see problems...

Thanks, Kevin. I'll write a new post sometime soon and then confirm that the fix works.

Cheers,
Ankur

Login to comment on this ticket.

Metadata