https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=804677 (Red Hat Certificate System)
We should add the ability to have multiple DRM transport keys. This would help
to solve the use case where one wants to periodically rotate the transport
keys. During this key rotation, there would be an overlap period where both
the old and new transport key could be used to encrypt traffic.
Here are requirements for DRM transport keys rotation provided by customers:
1. The requirement is to rotate DRM transport keys periodically.
2. DRMs and CAs have to have ability to work with multiple transport public/private key pairs simultaneously as big enterprise deployments cannot switch transport keys in a very small time window.
3. DRM transport key rotation has to be provided as graceful transition from old to new transport key without loss of client services. DRM has to be able to utilize simultaneously at at least two transport keys
4. Graceful transport key rotation has to be provided for DRMs using HSMs.
Current limitation in using single DRM to support multiple CAs is that all CAs have to have a common root CA.
Main tasks are:
1. to provide ability to distinguish DRM transport keys used in archival process in new DRM environment supporting multiple transport keys
2. to provide new process of DRM transport certificate generation
3. to provide new process of DRM transport certificate propagation
All above main tasks will be divided in appropriate sub-tasks.
Base on discussion with Nathan (nkinder) scope of this feature has been significantly reduced by only providing ability for DRM to support two transport keys: current key and new key. DRM will provide ability to automatically distinguish between its transport keys during archival process.
All other processes will be covered by manual procedures. This includes:
Above list of procedures may/will grow.
Please note that all manual procedures are requiring subsystem restarts which are resulting in service interruptions.
Providing ability to distinguish DRM transport keys used in archival process in new DRM environment supporting dual transport keys requires:
Tickets related to phase 2: #750 and #753.
Metadata Update from @nkinder:
- Issue assigned to awnuk
- Issue set to the milestone: 10.1 - 09/13 (September)
Dogtag PKI is moving from Pagure issues to GitHub issues. This means that existing or new
issues will be reported and tracked through Dogtag PKI's GitHub Issue tracker.
This issue has been cloned to GitHub and is available here:
If you want to receive further updates on the issue, please navigate to the
GitHub issue and click on Subscribe button.
Thank you for understanding, and we apologize for any inconvenience.
to comment on this ticket.