#355 Update FPCA default content license to CC-BY-SA 4.0
Closed: approved 3 months ago by bcotton. Opened 6 months ago by mattdm.

Our contributor agreement ensures that any unlicensed contributions to the project are given an appropriate free software / open source license. For content, this is Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license.

The 4.0 version of this license has been current since 2013. Let's update to it. The FPCA gives a procedure for us to do this:

The Fedora Council may, by public announcement, subsequently
designate an additional or alternative default license for a given
category of Contribution (a "Later Default License"). A Later Default
License shall be chosen from the appropriate categorical sublist of
Acceptable Licenses For Fedora.

Once a Later Default License has been designated, Your Unlicensed
Contribution shall also be licensed to the Fedora Community under that
Later Default License. Such designation shall not affect the
continuing applicability of the Current Default License to Your
Contribution.


+1. Version 4 brings some meaningful improvements that benefit the community.

+1.

This is helpful for working with Fedora-licensed content in an international context (i.e. outside of the United States courts and jurisdiction).

+1 to own proposal, by the way. :)

+1 from me, assuming that Red Hat Legal sees no issues.

After plenty of time, the vote is (+5,0,-0). This is approved. I will start making the necessary changes in places.

Metadata Update from @bcotton:
- Issue assigned to bcotton

6 months ago

I take that back. This should probably run through our policy change policy. I'll start that process.

Metadata Update from @bcotton:
- Issue tagged with: policies

6 months ago

Posted to CommBlog and the Discussion thread is moved to the Council category.

Per the Policy Change Policy, we will begin voting on this on 15 April. Sorry for not thinking of this sooner.

Metadata Update from @bcotton:
- Issue priority set to: Waiting on External (was: Needs Review)

6 months ago

Okay, I guess that's fair. We have policies for a reason. :)

Metadata Update from @bcotton:
- Issue priority set to: Next Meeting (was: Waiting on External)
- Issue tagged with: ticket-vote

5 months ago

The two week comment period has ended and voting now begins. This will be a full consensus vote for 7 days.

Since we received no feedback, I will consider the previous votes to still stand unless indicated otherwise:

  • +1
    • bcotton, mattdm, jflory7, spot
  • 0
    • (none)
  • -1
    • (none)

Other Council members, please vote by 0001 UTC on Friday 23 April.

After a week, no one has indicated a change in vote. This proposal is accepted by a vote of (+4,0,-0). I will now figure out all of the places we need to implement this. (Hopefully not many)

Metadata Update from @bcotton:
- Issue untagged with: ticket-vote

5 months ago

Metadata Update from @bcotton:
- Issue close_status updated to: approved
- Issue status updated to: Closed (was: Open)

3 months ago

Login to comment on this ticket.

Metadata