Badges is a fantastic way to incentivize contributors and recognize activity. We already have a "meta" series of badges that is awarded for hitting milestone numbers of badges, so awarding badges for collecting groups or sequences of badges, can direct activity even further.
After doing some rudimentary analysis on the badges community, I've compiled a list of the most common badges that are awarded for signing up for accounts and participating at a base level in the project.
These so far include:
Let me Introduce myself
Junior Package Tagger
Help the badges team understand what this idea is all about. If this badge is awarded for certain kinds of activities:
1) This badge is awarded for collecting each of the badges in the list above.
2) This badge will most often be awarded to newcomers, but can be awarded to anyone who has previously collected the bootstapped series.
3) The series basically establishes a general familiarity with the Fedora Account System, Planet, IRC, and Tagger. This is
4) The badges would be awarded on an ongoing basis, but only once per user.
5) In theory, a .yaml rules file, similar to the one that awards badges for achieving milestone amounts of badges could be adapted?
Lastly, do you have any ideas for artwork concepts?
6) In my mind's eye, I can imagine the artwork for this being a boot. Something like pegasus boots, with a Fedora Logo, and wings on them? Or perhaps something more tech-y, like a Megaman style rocket-powered robo-boot, with a glowing Fedora Logo? Something with boots, the Fedora Logo, and being able to move at an improved rate :)
As an additional bit of data, I'd like to utilize a series like this to help establish a path for onboarding new contributors and applicants to Fedora's Outreachy program this winter: http://bit.ly/fedoraoutreachy2015
Hey! I've made a mock up for the badge, as it seems like a badge everyone needs!
I've gone with the design of Hermes' Sandal. Also helps with the "Straps" theme in "Bootstrapped".
Replying to [comment:1 hegataro]:
Hey! Let's work some more on the graphics, right now it doesn't really look like a sandal when I look at it. Also let's add wings to give it more umph ;) We need to make this one epic!
I've updated the graphic, so it no longer looks like a bunch of scraps with a rag at the end:
Also, added some sparkles
As per Masha's request:
More outline, more fluidity to the wing
Oops- I should have assigned this one to myself when I started working on it. Here is another option - feedback welcome.
Replying to [comment:5 riecatnor]:
Hehe, now we have 2 options =) I like the boots! Can we make them a bit more detailed?
Something like these:
Discussed in [https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2016-11-02/fedora_badges.2016-11-02-11.05.html 2016-10-03 meeting].
This is on riecatnor's to-do list and will work at having it done soon! Woohoo! Ticket triaged.
I'm CCing Ralph and Sayan to possible try providing a technical expertise to if we can construct a fedmsg query to check if someone has badges, for awarding a new badge.
Metadata Update from @decause:
- Issue assigned to riecatnor
@sayanchowdhury Is it possible to retrieve the list of badges a user holds?
to comment on this ticket.
Copyright © 2014-2017 Red Hat
2.90.1 — Documentation