DS can log many messages. Sometime they look similar and we need to grep into the code to understand where/why it happened.
Having a unique identifier would accelerate the diagnostic
- INFO - PBKDF2_SHA256 - Based on CPU performance, chose 2048 rounds
- INFO - ISEC809 - PBKDF2_SHA256 - Based on CPU performance, chose 2048 rounds
@tbordaz I already started to work on something similar for lib389 to use this. It would be great to have something like this. I would suggest we make a new log interface (slapi_log_id_err), and then start to use that where it takes a char *id. We can then add a deprecation tag to the slapi_log_err function, and start to move people away from it.
Metadata Update from @firstyear:
- Custom field origin adjusted to None
- Custom field reviewstatus adjusted to None
@firstyear that looks a good idea. I have also concerns about customer existing scripts that use to catch some messages. We should have a toggle to keep the old logging way even if by default we would start logging with an ID.
It worth a small design IMHO
I don't think there shoulid be a toggle. We need to remove options, not add more. I think we should feature gate it IE a compile definition for inclusion, but then opting to using this as the default and only option.
Metadata Update from @tbordaz:
- Custom field rhbz adjusted to https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1685556
Issue linked to Bugzilla: Bug 1685556
Metadata Update from @mreynolds:
- Issue set to the milestone: 1.4.1
Metadata Update from @mhonek:
- Issue set to the milestone: None (was: 1.4.1)
- Issue tagged with: RFE
to comment on this ticket.